Sunday, November 2, 2008

More KL and Medan

My trip to see the man about the kayak was very interesting. The man is the agent for Perception, a big kayak brand. He brings boats, paddles and associated gear in from New Zealand, England and America. He was very nice and picked me up from the hotel and took me to his warehouse. He said he sells most of his kayaks to the Malay government for education, defence (training I guess) and tourism purposes. Whitewater kayaks are not super-popular with most people liking sit-on-tops or touring kayaks but he had some.

I bought a NZ made paddle to replace the one I broke last weekend. He was very nice, he told me it would be RM300 (about $US90) but then when I paid him he said he thought RM250 was fairer and gave me some money back! Very nice.

Something that got me excited too, he had a creekboat (Perception Phat) there that he has had for 3 or 4 years and he is just trying to get rid of it as no Malay wants it. He said he would be able to sell it to me for about $400 which would be a good price anywhere, let alone Asia. I am very excited, all I need to do now is a) confirm there is whitewater that requires a creekboat and b) workout how to get it across the ocean. I think my best bet is a boat from Penang to Medan as there is a daily ferry. Watch this space for more kayak transporting adventures.

I caught the end of the rubgy at an Irish pub in downtown KL after the kayak man dropped me off. Happy to see NZ win. I ordered a beer and it cost me $US10!!!!!! That was a shock. I'll know to ask how much before hand next time.

In the evening Rachel and I finished our good gastronomical form with a nice pizza and green salad at a fancy restaurant near the Petronas towers. We also walked around the towers a bit. Amazing buildings to look at. I got some photos which look good on the camera.

We then headed back to the hotel for sleeping.

This morning we had another delicious 5star hotel breakfast and then used the taxi/bus combo to get back to the airport. We had a 4 hour stop-off in Medan on the way home so we went back to a yoga studio cum restaurant where there is nice food and a good internet connection. I had a chat with my grandparents in Balclutha.

No comments: