So we left Indonesia around 11 August and travelled back to the USA. The first 5 or so days we spent in the Detroit area with most of Rachel's extended family there. Then after a couple of days in Boston I headed up to the Ottawa river for some much missed kayaking. Then Jon and Talia's wedding in New Hampshire and finally a week in Boston catching up with friends there.
As normal with return to the US or NZ after Indonesia it was just so wonderful. The simplest of things make us stop and look for weeks when we come back. The clean air, the massive variety of food available, quiet suburbs, orderly traffic, high speed traffic, smooth roads, nice lawns, ahhh it is so nice to be back in the west. We would walk down the streets and I was always struck by how big healthy and (at face value) wealthy just about everyone looked in most of the areas that we went to. We would go into people's houses and just struggle to understand the luxury, how the finishing on everything could be so nice, how all the little comforts were there. Talking with people I also noted how with all the opportunities that life in the west offers us people had complex stories to tell which aren't so commonplace in Indonesia - although granted I might just be used to the stories there.
Another thing is that I can't tell you how much I enjoyed using the internet at highspeed! Webpages just popping up, photos loading, being able to watch videos... ahh it is so cool. I think most of us who live with highspeed internet in our homes forget just how awesome it is to have that available. Again, I just can't tell you how cool that felt.
Speaking of internet speeds. I am back in Kuala Lumpur where the internet in my layover hotel seems to be shaky so I may post this up and go to sleep.
Saturday, August 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That it? I spent all that money and all we get is that lousy mention. DO you know how much spent on that money on rubber chicken and free beer and wine and this is the only mention we get
No Greenland rolling for you
Will B
It is true Will, the wedding was absolutely fantastic, didn't I write about it in another entry. If not then I am remiss! It really was a wonderful time and all the work Jon, Talia and the families had put into it was really obvious :-)
Post a Comment