Sunday, August 16, 2009

Getting Balance Back - R&R and Holidays

 


Photo above is a lovely door at the place we stayed in Ubud called Ubud Sari Health Resort. We learnt about raw food and had a wonderful time relaxing after some crazy months at this place. It was one of the most peaceful places you could stay on holiday!


So it was becoming apparent that I needed something else to divert me away from work a little. In July Rachel and I took up scuba diving. We'd both done it before but a long time ago. We can travel 45min by boat to the island of Pulau Weh and then travel 20min by car to Gapang beach where we learnt to dive in a 4 day scuba course we did over two weekends. It is really fun to be weightless (neutrally bouyant) under sea and to see the amazing colour and variety of the wildlife under there. Also the beach has a lot of backpackers, some more western food and nice relaxing accomodation. We probably should have started going there for weekends a lot earlier.

Also in July we had a week of R&R. We had to stay in Indonesia as Rachel didn't have a multiple entry visa so we booked tickets to go to Bali. RAchel actually got a very high fever for 6 days in bed just as we were due to leave so we had to delay by a week. We think it was likely to be the pandemic but one never really knows. Anyway, going to Bali was absolutely wonderful. We completely skipped the southern beach tourist location of Kuta and went inland an hour from the airport to a town called Ubud which great Balinese dances, amazing food, wonderful rice field walks and general coolness due to a little bit of altitude. We had a wonderful time there relaxing at a health resort with massages, saunas, delicious fresh organic food aaaahhhh. We walked through the rice fields and I hired bikes and went mountainbiking along the single track or through teh towns. All in all a fantastic place. I can't say enough about the food, while supercheap it was higher quality than we've eaten anywhere else as there is a major hippie, raw food, organic movement in Ubud. Also people in Bali were extremely friendly, we were always called guests rather than foreigners and people were happy just to have a chat. It was great. We want to go back to stay!

We also took a couple of days up in the north coast where we went diving. The diving was a lot of fun. We dove on a 1940s wreck where there were a great number of fish. We also went diving twice when there was pretty strong current and got to drift along and enjoy the feeling of being gentle swept along past all the fish. We saw a couple of sharks! I don't think diving will ever take over from kayaking for me but it is fun as Rachel and I can do it together (she actually can dive longer than me as she is more efficient with air) and it is a really nice experience.

All this holidaying has helped me to get life back in balance and now I am happy again. To tell the truth I am happy right now as we are in Detroit with Rachel's family having a wonderful time of catching up and enjoying the luxury of the USA. I'll write more about that next blog.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: